Inflammation is something that many of us are quite familiar with. Inflammation is a natural bodily reaction to injury or illness, this is when our brain signals white blood cells to flood the area of pain. Without inflammation, it would be much harder for our bodies to recover. When we accidentally get cuts are scratches or develop a cold, our body’s natural response is to inflame the affected area to fight off any potential immune system threats. It’s a healthy reaction we need in order to heal from injuries and diseases, as long as it goes away. When it doesn’t, inflammation can become a problem, however we created a list of natural supplements to help you ease inflammation if you’re suffering from either acute or chronic inflammation.
- Fish oil
- Fish oil supplements are derived from the oils of cold water fish, including mackerel, salmon, tuna, halibut, and cod. Fish oil is a source of omega-3 fatty acids with EPA and DHA. Omega-3s specifically DHA have an anti-inflammatory effect by blocking cytokines and prostaglandins and can even help decrease inflammation associated with exercise.
- Quercetina plant pigment that is found in various foods, including apples, onions, teas, berries, and red wine. It also is naturally occurring in some herbs. Quercetin is recognized for having anti-inflammatory properties. One study showed that quercetin prevented both acute and chronic inflammation in addition to showing anti arthritis properties. It blocks pro-inflammatory chemicals, such as leukotrienes and prostaglandins.
- Resveratrol belongs to a group of compounds called polyphenols that are thought to act like antioxidants and protect the body against damage. It has long been considered a therapeutic agent for various diseases, including inflammatory diseases. It is found in certain fruits and red wine
- Turmeric is produced from the underground stems of the plant Curcuma longa, which is related to ginger. One of the major compounds in turmeric is curcumin. Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant within turmeric as it is recognized for its anti-inflammatory properties and works by blocking inflammatory cytokines and enzymes
- Bromelain is a group of protein-dissolving enzymes that are found in the stem and fruit of the pineapple. Bromelain has an anti-inflammatory effect that occurs when it alters leukocyte migration and activation. In the past, this enzyme was also used as a meat tenderizer, reason being it helps to soothe and relax tense, inflamed muscles and connective tissue.
To maintain a healthy lifestyle, its best to cut back or avoid inflammatory foods and that includes red meat and anything with trans fat. Make time to exercise for at least 30-40 mins a day as losing weight can help decrease inflammation.