Nutrition Month is celebrated every March to bring awareness on the importance of making informed food choices and developing healthy eating and exercise decisions. Pharmacy Solutions wants to make sure we do our part in helping patients understand the role that nutrition plays in their everyday lives. Whether it be for weight loss, food sensitivities, disease, or general health, Pharmacy Solutions is dedicated to positive patient outcomes and we understand that a large piece of our health begins with what we are eating.
Start with the Basics
- Reach for complex carbohydrates like vegetables, grains like oats and millet, and legumes like lentils that digest slowly and cause less of a spike in blood sugar.
- Carbs are a great energy source for your body, and they provide ample vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Steer clear of processed cereals, chips, soda, and refined desserts. These are the simple carbs that spike your blood sugar and leave you hungry for more.
- Choose a protein that is lean and of high-quality
- Do not focus only on animal proteins. Be creative and choose plenty of plant proteins as well.
- Fats to look for include plant-based, unsaturated fats like olive oils, almonds, avocados, and wild-caught fish.
- We must consume essential omega fatty acids because our bodies cannot make them.
- Focus on omega-3s found in salmon and sardines, walnuts, chia seeds, shelled hemp seeds, and ground flaxseed.
- Being physically active produces more of the feel-good hormones that boost your mood and enables you to get more enjoyment out of life.
- Physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for Healthy Aging.
- Exercise Ideas:
- Bodyweight Training
- Aerobic Exercises
Supplement Where Needed
As we get older, our bodies have a harder time absorbing nutrients from food. Because of this, it is very important to supplement where we are lacking. If you are unsure where to start, talk to Pharmacy Solutions so we can help you.
Here are our top supplements to start off with:
- Omega 3 Fish Oil