As the heat doesn’t seem to have any break, unwanted guests will try to enter our cool and cozy homes. Placing deterrents such as rat poison can be very effective but pose a serious threat to your animal’s safety if accidentally ingested.
Phytonadione or Vitamin K1 plays many essential roles in bodily function such as calcium metabolism and heart health but none as important as blood clotting. Phytonadione can be of particular importance as an antidote against ingestion of products that have anticoagulant properties such as rodenticide, warfarin, sweet clover, dicumarol and/or sulfaquinoxaline toxicities.
Knowing the signs of poisoning are vital since it may be 3-5 days that pass before signs of poisoning are visible which may include blood loss, lethargy, coughing, difficulty breathing and pale gums.
It is important to note that 6-12 hours may be required for new clotting factor synthesis and blood products may be necessary for emergency needs. Bioavailability has been shown to increase by 4-5 times when given with canned dog food. Fatty foods have been shown to increase oral absorption of phytonadione. Subcutaneous administration does not result in faster absorption than oral and can increase risk of hemorrhage. Customized oral suspensions can be made quickly by our staff to serve your clientele.
Dosing for Dogs: 1mg/kg by mouth once daily x 4-6 days
Another helpful resource is pet poison helpline at 1-855-764-7661 to answer questions on best procedure.
Plumb, D. (2008) Plumb’s Veterinary Drug Handbook. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.